|This article is about a/an title of Makai Knights in the Garo franchise.|
Most who bear the title of Garo inherit it from family members as part of a lineage, but like all Makai Knight bloodlines, there are instances when a lineage dies off and a new wearer unrelated to the family line is trained to be the next Garo.
While the Garo title is legendary for its wearers and their heroic deeds and commends great respect from other Makai Knights and Priests, users of the armor do not get any preferential treatment. Some who have the title must labor long and hard to earn their reputations and gain higher positions such as Senatorial Knight just as any other Knight.
Horrors who are ancient in age seem to know of the name, indicating that the title and the conflicts of its bearers with the demonic beings dates back centuries or possibly even longer.
Holders of the Garo title
In Garo: The Crimson Moon, the Saejima family are revealed to be descended from Minamoto no Yorimitsu, a legendary servant of the Fujiwara clan who became a folktale for his exploits as a monster slayer.
Before the Saejima Bloodline
- Gouki: One of the earlier Makai Knights to carry the title. Presently the only known Garo without Zaruba.
- Raikou: Born Minamoto no Yorimitsu.
- Unknown Garo: The maternal grandfather of Leon and Alfonso.
- Leon Luis: A Makai Knight who lived through the Medieval Period in the European country of Valiante. He inherited the title of Garo through his mother. Due to his personal demons, Leon was forced to relinquish the title to his cousin Alfonso before he was able to reclaim it.
- Alfonso San Valiante: Prince of Valiante and another legitimate heir for the position of Garo. Alfonso acquired the title from his cousin Leon until he was proven worthy to wear it again.
The Saejima Bloodline
- Taiga Saejima- The Garo of the Showa Era, father of Kouga and grandfather of Raiga (Deceased)
- Kouga Saejima- The Garo of the 2000s and 2010s, son of Taiga and father of Raiga. (MIA)
- Raiga Saejima- The Garo of the 2030s; grandson of Taiga and son of Kouga (Active)
After the Saejima Bloodline
- Ryuga Dougai- A young and impulsive Makai Knight on an unspecified moment in time after the Saejima line ended. (Active)