|This article is about a/an Makai Knight in Garo: Honoo no Kokuin|
Leon Luis is the main protagonist of the anime series Garo: Honoo no Kokuin A.K.A. Garo the Animation. He is a bearer of the armor and title of Garo. Following the events of Mendoza's defeat, the armor and title of Garo was taken from him after losing control. He is also the cousin of Alfonso San Valiante, the Prince of the Valiante Kingdom through his aunt, Queen Esmeralda; Anna Luis's younger sister.
Leon was born from his mother while she was being burned alive as one of the many Makai Priests and Makai Knights living in the Valiante Kingdom who have fallen victim to Medoza's revenge-driven genocide, cleverly masked as a witch hunt. Luckily, Leon was saved by the magic placed on him by his mother Anna before he was saved from the flames by his father Germán Luis. Though German managed to get Leon out of Valiante, the memory of his mother's death remained with Leon through his nightmares due to the residual spell his mother cast leaving a mark on his right arm that causes flames to appear whenever he is in emotional distress.
Leon spent the first years of his life training with only the thought of vengeance in his mind. Eventually, Leon is allowed to make the journey to Valiante with the intention to face his mother's killer at the capital city of Santa Bard. On the way, Leon acquires Zaruba who acts to control Leon's flames and keep him stable. However, meeting his cousin Alfonso San Valiante as they face their common enemy, Leon loses control as he becomes a Lost Soul Beast before being defeated and relieved of his armor.
Believing Mendoza to have died, Leon believes that lost his purpose without the Garo title and attempted to commit suicide. However, he was found by a farm girl named Lara who brings him to her family's home where he would work as a farmhand. At first, Leon decided to remain among the common folk. But when unable to keep Lara and her family from being killed by the Horror Grand-Magus, Leon faced his inner demons and resolves to once more become Garo for the right reasons.
Garo The Golden Knight
Leon inherited the Garo armor from his mother, as she was part of the Golden Knight bloodline from his maternal grandfather. In the Garo armor, Leon's eyes are red with yellow pupils. However, due to his revenge-driven mindset, the Garo Armor reflected Leon's rage in having twin red scarves attached to the back of the armor with gold rings on the end that serve to extend to grapple opponents or latch on to objects to propel Garo through the air. The Armor also had burning cracks that would release flames upon Leon becoming enraged as a negative side effect of the protective seal his mother placed on him. Once Leon learned to abandon his desire for revenge and become a protector, the armor resembled the live action TV version with red and gold eyes.
When Leon lost himself in the implanted visions of his mother's death by Mendosa, the Garo Armor assumes its Lost Soul Beast form with the ability to manifest a raging Madō Fire inferno that incinerated the town of Santa Bard within moments and endangered many innocent humans. It was only through Alfosno using the Gaia armor to pierce the weak point on Garo that the armor disengaged and was taken away from him by Alfonso.
In a desperate attempt to stop Mendosa, Leon used one of his father's Zoro Daggers and the Garoken together to summon both armors simultaneously. The resulting summon combined with Leon's unbreakable spirit and determination caused the armors to merge into a fused form with the abilities of both Zoro and Garo with flaming wings that granted Leon the power of flight.
Due to his origins and inner demons, having been born watching his mother die and reliving that moment in his dreams, Leon is a serious and short-tempered individual who is always has a scowling expression. Though he appears to resent Germán for being a lecher and often beats him up for his womanizing, Leon cares for his father.
Having suffered from emotional stress, it serves to activate the magic seal that Anna cast on her son's body before his death. But Anna's magic is a double edged sword as its influence effects Leon's mind whenever he dons the Garo Armor, causing the Soul Metal to violently react and have him berserk. Though Zaruba was used to control his emotions, the rage eventually overwhelms the ring as Leon nearly wiped out all of Santa Bard just to avenge his mother's death by Medoza's actions. This resulted with Leon relieved of the Garo title and everything associated with it. Leon attempted to commit suicide soon after as he believed he had no other reason to live for. But having met Lara and failing to save her, Leon strived to become a better Makai Knight for the sake of protecting others.
- As an adult, Leon is voiced by Daisuke Namikawa. While as a child he is voiced by Horii Chisa. In English he is voiced by Ricco Fajardo as an adult, and by Apphia Yu as a child.
Behind the Scenes
- to be added
- Compared to his successors, having initially became Garo to avenge his mother's death, Leon originally had no one dear to him to protect prior to meeting Lara.
- Coincidentally, Leon's main fighting stance where he holds his blade against the outside of his opposite hand, is very similar if not identical to the fighting stance of his fellow Golden Knight and protagonist of the live action Garo series Yami wo Terasu Mono(One Who Shines in the Darkness), Garo: Golden Storm, and Garo: Golden Storm Sho. Ryuga Dougai.
- Leon, also very similar to Ryuga Dougai, is one of the only Garo's who doesn't start out wearing a white trench coat as his main attire. This would change however, as Honoo no Kokuin would reach it's halfway point.
- Leon is the very first Golden Knight to ever completely lose his title and right to wear the Garo armor at one point in the series and then have to earn the armor and title back
- Leon is the only Garo to have gone through a change in his attire a total of four times as his story went on.
- Seemingly, Leon is the youngest protagonist of the series to have first inherited the golden armor